Launched in 2011, the Translation Grant aims to provide publishers from around the world with the funding assistance needed to translate their works.
Please follow the complete procedure described below:
Submit a copy of the book or manuscript to SIBF along with the application form. If the book or manuscript is not in Arabic or English, the first chapter must be translated into Arabic or English and sent to SIBF, along with a description of the book. SIBF reserves the right to request further information about the book in Arabic or English.
The deadline for receiving the copy of the book and the application is 26 February 2019.
Applicants will be informed by 01 May 2019 if their application has been successful.
Successful applicants must then present a copy of the official translation rights contract between the rights buyer and seller for the successful publication. This should be accompanied by the details of the translator and their payment details. The deadline for submitting these to SIBF is by 26 May 2019.
Upon receipt of the contract and translator’s details, SIBF will release 30% of the grant to the rights buying publisher.
A further 20% will be released upon submission of the first draft of the translation.
The final 50% payment will be made upon receiving 10 copies of the final published book. The books must be received by 26 November 2020.
The 10 copies of the final published book should be sent to the following address: Sharjah Book Authority, Shk Mohd bin Zayed Rd, Al Zahia, PO box 73111, Sharjah UAE
Your translation must follow the below criteria:
- Grant value will range up to $4,000 for general titles and up to $1,500 for children's books depending on number of words.
- Genres: Fiction, Non-Fiction (including memoirs, history, cookery etc.), Children and young Adult books and Poetry.
- Books can be written by any foreign language to any foreign language (not Arabic), Grant($50,000)
- Books can be Arabic to any language or any language to Arabic, Grant ($250,000)
- Books are protected by copyright and are not in the public domain.